Edelrid Ohm is a revolutionary device that allow belayers to remain safe whilst belaying leaders when they have a large difference in weight.
Assisted-braking resistor to increase rope friction when there is a large weight difference between belayer and lead climber. In the event of a fall, the OHM increases the amount of rope friction so that a lighter belayer can hold a heavier lead climber without difficulty.
The review of the Ohm on UKC is worth a read if you are interested in how it performs in the real world.
- Belayer requires significantly less hand braking force to arrest a fall
- Lowering a heavier climber is much easier to control
- OHM is attached at the first bolt in the safety chain
- Should a lead climber fall at the first bolt, the OHM significantly reduces the risk of a possible ground fall
- Rope handling when belaying a lead climber not affected (no additional friction when paying out rope)
- Recommended weight difference (lead climber > belayer): 10 - 40 kg
- Minimum weight belayer: 40 kg
- For single ropes from 8.9 - 11.0 mm
- Fmax. Vertical [Kn]: 15
- Approved rope diameter [mm]: 8,9 - 11
- CE marking: CE 0123
- country of origin: Germany
- Weight: 470 g